nOS (pron. "en oh es" or "noss") is a full-stack solution for decentralized application development, deployment, discovery, and interaction. It describes itself as a Virtual Operating System due to the distributed services it aims to offer for both developers and end-users.
|Initial release||April 14, 2018|
|Code repository||nOS Github|
The project's private concept paper was authored January 2018 by nOS founder and CEO Dean van Dugteren. Dean publicly announced and presented nOS for the first time on April 14th 2018 at the NEO Amsterdam event.
The Token Generation Event has concluded in November 2018.
On nOS, applications and websites can be deployed in a completely open and decentralized manner by integrating smart contracts, client-side code, and public-key cryptography.
Unlike server-side backend code, smart contracts can be open for all to read, allowing users to review how their data will be transmitted before any final commitments to action.
Client-side code and other frontend materials can be distributed via nOS Filesystem, a decentralized file sharing protocol that allows for secure and transparent distribution of static files.
By serving both backend logic and frontend material in an open-source, decentralized manner, true transparency between user and application can be achieved.
dApps that are deployed to nOS can be accessed through nOS Client, a software solution for desktop and mobile that (among other features) introduces nOS Browser.
nOS Browser functions as a web browser, with the added benefit that it integrates with the nOS Protocol, a blockchain-powered web protocol that facilitates secure and open accessibility of nOS dApps.
Protocol and Name Service
The nOS Protocol resolves domain names that exist on nOS Name Service, a blockchain-powered decentralized implementation of a Domain Name Service, and allows for dApps to register domain names which are discoverable on nOS.
dApp Gateway and Decentralized Authority
The dApp Gateway is a user-friendly dApp discovery platform (“App Store”) where rankings are decided in a completely decentralized manner via Decentralized Authority.
Automatic Token Conversion
nOS eliminates the need for end-users to exchange crypto-currencies in order to make use of various dApps. By integrating crypto-currency exchange APIs, nOS Client automatically converts primary blockchain platform currencies into the required amount of application tokens that are needed to make specific transactions or invocations.
- Founder and CEO Dean van Dugteren announces nOS on April 14th 2018, live at the NEO Amsterdam event .
- During the announcement presentation, the Client MVP of nOS is released on GitHub.
- Dean joins NEO on the NEO Europe Tour to present the project and host development workshops.
- Announced partnerships with NEO Global Capital and Moonlight.
- Reached approximately 40,000 followers across its social media in 7 days since its release announcement.
All data surrounding progression can be found in the first nOS Medium publication.
- Announced pre-sale requirements for developers and non-developers.
- Summarized Europe tour
- Introduced nOS Protocol
- Announced nOS Design Competition with $10,000 USD prize pool .
- Introduced Roger Lim as Advisor to nOS .
- Dean van Dugteren joins Smart Economy Expo held in European Parliament .
- Announced nOSNet Master Contract Token documentation .
- Announced create-nos-dapp one-click CLI tool for nOS dApp Development .
- Announced nOS Client Design Competition Results .
- Introduced nOS Portal Application 
- Presented at NEO London Event 
- Dean joins debate on Blockchain adoption at EU Parliament 
- Announced nOSNet: Live testnet for NEO-based decentralized applications 
- Announced deadline for dApp developers and early VDT.Network subscribers for secruing pre-sale access .
More than 65 decentralized applications  has been deployed to nOSNet, a NEO-based Public Testnet powered by nOS.
nOS has publicized the following partnerships on its website:
nos.app allows for developers to be rewarded for making development contributions to the nOS codebase.
- "nOS Full Presentation by Dean van Dugteren: NEO ❤️ Amsterdam". nOS YouTube.
- "nOS Client User Interface Design Competition". nOS Medium.
- "nOS Medium Report: Introducing Roger Lim as Advisor". nOS Medium.
- "Introducing create-nos-dapp". nOS Medium.
- "nOS Design Competition Results". nOS Medium.
- "nOS Report 4: 0.2 Release, nOS Portal, nOS at EU Parliament". nOS Medium.
- "Announcing nOSNet: Live testnet for nOS dApps". nOS Medium.
- "60+ dApps deployed to nOSNet". nOS Medium.
- "nOS Community-made dApps Top 15". nOS Medium.